Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy 50th Birthday, BARBIE!

Yes, 2009 marks the 50th birthday of America's favorite fashion doll! Barbie Millicent Roberts turns 50 this year! Congratulations and a very Happy Birthday to you!
Barbie in 1959Barbie 1959

and Barbie's 50th Anniversary edition 2009
barbie 2009

In honor of her 50th, there was a most amazing fashion show at Bryant Park's NY fashion week. "Fifty designers, including Vera Wang, Betsey Johnson, Donna Karan, Calvin Klein, Carmen Marc Valvo and Marchesa, all created special looks for everyone's favorite fashion icon." For an article about the show and photos, take a look here: http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-look/fashion-week/article.aspx?cp-documentid=17839530>1=32013

Barbie has meant many things to me throughout the years, a fantasy land of fashion, trips in the Barbie motorhome, parties in the Dream House, concerts with the Rockers...so many experiences lived out with friends and our dolls. My mom made me some really amazing clothes from official Barbie patterns from the 60s (which I still have, BTW!). When I was learning to crochet, I made orange crochet ponchos for my dolls. And when I finally got too old to play with them, they became a collection and then it was the hunt for the old ones from the 60s and early 70s. The details put into the clothing from 1959 thru to the early 70s was just amazing! Lined with satin, real zippers and buttons, quality fabrics...they were made as if for a real person, only in miniature! Quite impressive!!!

A couple of years ago, I decided to sell off the majority of my collection, because I wanted them to go to someone who would enjoy them more than I was...I felt that it was a shame that they were packed up in boxes and not on display to be enjoyed and played with...so, off they went to new homes, thanks to eBay. :D I did keep a big red trunk full of the dolls and clothes that I played with as a child. Those were too personal for me to part with!

I think Barbie is an amazing doll...to have stood the test of time and to be celebrating 50 years of existence says so much about Mattel and the many creative people who have worked on the Barbie & family dolls all these years. Always at the forefront of fashion and trends, I think she will be around for many more years to come! Congrats and Happy Birthday Ms. Roberts!

For pics of dolls from the '09 collection, take a look here: http://www.angelicdreamz.com/store/Barbie_2009.html

For a bit on the history of the doll (& links to shopping, news & events) take a look here: http://barbiestyle.barbie.com/history.html
and here:
http://groups.msn.com/barbiessecret/thehistoryofbarbie.msnw

And Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbie

No comments: