Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Recent musical discoveries!

I mentioned in a previous post that my bro recently came to visit. As a fellow music lover, we had a blast taking the tour of a few of our local record stores and I had fun being overwhelmed by the amount of musical knowledge he has to offer...record shopping with him is also quite a HUGE music lesson! Whew! Wipe that sweat off the brow! Anyway, he recommended this band, Cymande...I'm really digging 'em, especially this song:


And for a pretty cool mix, take a listen to this Jurassic 5/Nightmares on Wax/Cymande - Linguistics on the Slide Mash-up I came across on YouTube, incorporating the above song. I'm honestly not usually one to like remakes of any original anything, but this dude combined a couple of my fave musical artists to come up with this successful tune. Check it here:


He also made me a bit more hip to The Yardbirds...where've I been??!! The following clip is a bit from the 1966 flick Blow Up by Michelangelo Antonioni. It features perhaps the first notable guitar smashing scene that became such a legendary thing for future bands, such as The Clash (see cover of London Calling)


And here are a couple of tunes I came across during one of my YouTube forays:
Chris Bartley- Gotta Tell Somebody (About My Baby)


Dee Edwards - Why Can't There Be Love


and this one, thanks to both my friend and my bro, for introducing me to Gloria Scott:


Hope you enjoy my musical foray for the night!

No comments: